San Francisco, CA – October 29, 2013 – Today at RICON West, Riak, the worldwide leader in distributed systems and cloud storage software, announced that the Technical Preview of Riak 2.0, Riak’s distributed NoSQL database, is now publicly available. This major release introduces new features that improve developer ease-of-use, increase flexibility around consistency, boost search and analytics capabilities, simplify operations at scale, and provide enterprise-class data security.
Riak continues to gain adoption worldwide supporting critical applications that require high-availability, predictable scalability, and performance. Riak’s unique ability to distribute data, both to ensure availability and provide data locality, provides enterprises a proven database technology for powering critical web, mobile and social applications, cloud computing platforms, and to store and serve machine-to-machine and sensor data. Riak is used by thousands of companies, including over 30% of the Fortune 50.
New Features in Riak 2.0
- Riak Data Types. Riak 2.0 includes a range of flexible, distributed data types, that greatly simplify application development without sacrificing Riak’s availability and partition tolerance characteristics. Available Riak data types include distributed counters, sets, maps, registers, and flags.
- Strong Consistency. Developers now have the flexibility to choose whether buckets should be eventually consistent (the default Riak configuration today that provides high availability) or strongly consistent, based on data requirements.
- Full-Text Search Integration with Apache Solr. Riak Search is completely redesigned in Riak 2.0, leveraging the Apache Solr engine. Riak Search in 2.0 fully supports the Solr client query APIs, enabling integration with a wide range of existing software and commercial solutions.
- Security. Riak 2.0 adds the ability to administer access rights and utilize plug-in authentication models. Authentication and Authorization is provided via client APIs.
- Simplified Configuration Management. Riak 2.0 continues to improve Riak’s operational simplicity by changing how, and where, configuration information is stored in an easy-to-parse and transparent format.
- Reduced Replicas for Secondary Sites. Exclusive to Riak Enterprise 2.0, users can now optionally store fewer copies of replicated data across multiple datacenters to better maintain a balance between storage overhead and availability.
Technical Preview Availability
About RICON West
RICON West 2013 is part of the RICON conference series. RICON is Riak’s distributed systems conference for developers and academics. RICON West will take place in San Francisco, CA on October 29-30. More than 25 speakers will discuss applications, use cases, and the future of distributed systems – including NoSQL solutions and cloud storage. RICON West 2013 speakers include Riak, Google, Microsoft Research, Netflix, salesforce.com, Seagate, The Weather Company, and Twitter. RICON West 2013 is sold-out; however, Riak will offer a live stream.
Riak is a distributed systems company dedicated to making software that is highly available, fault-tolerant and easy-to-operate at scale. Riak’s distributed database, Riak, and Riak’s cloud storage software, Riak CS, are used by fast growing Web businesses and by over 25 percent of the Fortune 50 to power their critical Web, mobile and social applications and their public and private cloud platforms.
Riak and Riak CS are available open source. Riak Enterprise and Riak CS Enterprise offer enhanced multi-datacenter replication and 24×7 Riak support. For more information, visit riak.com. Riak is headquartered in Cambridge, Massachusetts and has offices in London, San Francisco, Tokyo and Washington DC.