NoSQL Database Technology Innovator Spurs Growth with Product Innovation, Customer Acquisition and Bolstered Developer Ecosystems
SEATTLE – Jan. 27, 2016 – Riak Technologies, the creator and developer of Riak®, the world’s most resilient NoSQL Database, today announced record company progress with dramatic customer and revenue growth, driven by continued product innovation and market interest in Riak’s database products. At the helm of Riak’s 2015 initiatives lies its commitment to strengthening its customer base and providing support for its community of technical leaders and developers.
During 2015, Riak grew bookings and revenue in excess of 50 percent, exceeding the growth rate of the global NoSQL market. The company’s 2015 growth was fueled by strong demand for its licensed products, which offer customers operational simplicity through highly available and scalable distributed NoSQL databases. Product innovation in 2015 was key in driving revenue growth and continued market confidence in Riak’s vision for enterprise-grade database solutions that solve active workload challenges for big data initiatives. In 2015, Riak unveiled Riak® TS software, the industry’s first highly resilient NoSQL database optimized to enable fast reads and writes of time series data. The company also announced the next iteration of its flagship Riak 2.1, introduced The Riak Data Platform, and collaborated with Cisco to deliver an innovative framework that brings operational efficiency and high elasticity to big data services.
“Our continued growth shows that Riak is the preferred vendor for enterprises that want to take advantage of IoT and Big Data,” said Adam Wray, CEO and president of Riak Technologies. “Riak is coming off some of the strongest quarters in our history, driven by growing demand for our flexible, multi-model approach to data management. In 2016 we are off to an excellent start. We have signed some very significant customers, released Riak TS 1.1 and made moves to strengthen the Riak management team.”
Customer acquisition and revenue continued to grow as enterprises are increasingly realizing that Riak is the leading provider of highly scalable, enterprise-grade distributed NoSQL databases. Recent customer additions include, among others, MINDBODY, a provider of a software platform for health, wellness and beauty professionals; Concur, a leader in global travel and expense automation; and, Actual Experience, a provider of data analytics that are the missing link between digital experience quality and improvements in the digital business.
Riak Shapes NoSQL Industry
The Internet of Things (IoT) connected devices continue to generate data at an astonishing rate. Organizations must now determine how to quickly turn their data into useable insights that will drive growth. Enterprise-grade solutions must be able to scale along with organizations without sacrificing speed or agility. Throughout 2015, Riak advanced the state of the industry by offering organizations the tools they need to thrive in the information age:
- Riak unveiled Riak® TS software, a distributed NoSQL database architected to aggregate and analyze massive amounts of sequenced, unstructured data generated from the Internet of Things (IoT) and other time series data sources. As more and more enterprise applications collect IoT data, specifically time series data from sensors, they need fast, reliable and scalable read and write performance. To best accomplish this, the data must be stored, queried and analyzed together. Unlike traditional databases, Riak TS is built to store and retrieve time series data with enhanced read and write performance. This month Riak launched Riak TS 1.1, the general availability (GA) release with several feature enhancements.
- Riak and Cisco collaborated to develop a framework enabling Riak KV to run on Apache Mesos, bringing operational efficiency and high-elasticity to IoT and big data services. Riak KV is Riak’s flagship NoSQL database that enables enterprises to respond to billions of data requests on thousands of servers, without inducing downtime. The integration with Mesos, an open-source resource manager from the Apache Software Foundation, automates the data center infrastructure beneath Riak KV instances. Pairing Mesos with Riak’s own automation and orchestration technology allows enterprise businesses to deploy distributed data services at global scale.
- Earlier in the year, Riak announced the Riak® Data Platform, developed to simplify the operation and integration challenges of deploying and managing Big Data, IoT and hybrid cloud applications. The Riak Data Platform integrates Riak databases with Apache Spark for in-memory analytics, Redis caching for increased performance and Apache Solr for enhanced query capabilities, significantly enhancing productivity for development and operations teams.
- Riak applauded its large community through the Taishi Community Recognition Program. The Program recognizes individuals who have made contributions the open source distributed computing landscape. Taishi acknowledges developers not only for their technical contributions but for the altruistic sense of public service each member exhibits.
Customers applaud Riak’s successes:
- “ShopKeep enables more than 20,000 merchants to process hundreds of thousands of sales transactions daily. To keep our customers’ businesses humming, we needed a solution that could handle a high volume of data requests. Not only does Riak’s Riak KV database handle peak loads at scale, but it ensures the data our customers request is accurate and timely.”
- Jason Ordway, CTO, ShopKeep
- “Now more than ever, companies rely on data to understand, anticipate and respond to customer needs. With more than 30,000 clients and 35 million users, Concur needs a database solution that can handle high volumes without latency or downtime. Riak allows us to scale as our client base grows, and helps ensure we keep our customers and users happy across the globe.”
- Cameron Etezadi, Deputy CTO, Concur Technologies
- “MINDBODY’s platform makes the day go smoother for more than 50,000 businesses and 250,000 professionals worldwide. In order to meet the demands of our customers we needed a database solution that could move as quickly as we need to, without latency or downtime. Riak’s Riak KV has high availability at scale to ensure MINDBODY’s platform will always be there when the customer needs it.”
- John Phillips, Senior Software Architect, MINDBODY
- “We are following a very ambitious growth path, and we can only pursue that path because we manage our data using Riak. We measure the digital experience quality of some of the world’s largest companies, so we’re a very data intensive business. We rely on our ability to manage huge volumes of data quickly, efficiently and with no margin for error. That’s why we’re now moving from the Open Source to Enterprise version of Riak.”
- Martin Woods, Chief Technology Officer, Actual Experience
- “Open source Riak KV has been a big part of our infrastructure for years now, and we’re super excited to have grown to the point where Enterprise Riak KV is the next logical step. The smooth operational scaling story from tiny startup with a few machines to international business in multiple data centers was a key reason we adopted Riak in the first place, and we look forward to putting it to good use as we continue to grow.”
- Nathaniel Talbott, Spreedly, Inc.
- “Since the dawn of genomics revolution, 5AM Solutions has been deploying bioinformatics driven software teams to bring innovation to the life science and healthcare organizations. Data management is critical. We sought solutions that would focus our energy on our customer’s interaction with data, analysis and results. Riak’s Riak KV NoSQL database empowers us to simplify customer data operations and focus on customers getting meaning from the data.”
- Earl Earl M. Furfine, Chief Executive Officer, 5AM Solutions
- “Sqor is architected as the ultimate social media platform for two thousand athletes, teams and their sports fans. With tens of millions of sports fans conversing and posting in real-time, we knew we needed a foundational database that will scale to millions of concurrent requests. Riak KV, along with Erlang, enable Sqor to grow and scale globally, and support sophisticated mobile and web applications. Riak delivers a winning home run for Sqor!”
- Michael Vierling, Software Architect, Sqor Sports
About Riak Technologies
Riak Technologies, the creator of the World’s most resilient databases, is dedicated to developing disruptive technology that simplifies enterprises’ most critical distributed systems data management challenges. Riak has attracted one of the most talented groups of engineers and technical experts ever assembled devoted exclusively to solving some of the most complex issues presented by Big Data and IoT. Riak’s distributed database, Riak® KV, the industry leading distributed NoSQL database, is used by fast growing Web businesses and by one-third of the Fortune 50 to power their critical Web, mobile and social applications. Built on the same foundation, Riak introduced Riak® TS, which is the first enterprise-ready NoSQL database specifically optimized to store, query and analyze time series data. The Riak Data Platform helps enterprises reduce the complexity of supporting Big Data applications by integrating Riak KV, Riak TS and Riak S2 with Apache Spark, Redis, and Apache Solr.
Riak is the registered trademark of Riak Technologies, Inc. The trademarks and names of other companies and products mentioned herein are the property of their respective owners.
BOCA Communications for Riak